A sporting club has existed on the current Mervyn Road site for over 100 years. The West Ealing Sports and Athletic Club was formed in 1909 by a group of ‘break-away’ Christians from St. Paul’s church (Ridley Avenue) who wanted to play tennis on Sunday afternoons. The bowls section was subsequently formed in 1923 when the Club became a limited company (West Ealing Sports Club Limited), which does not now exist.
Up until the early 1950’s the West Ealing Sports and Athletic Club (or WESAC as it was known) was a thriving country club and had a multitude of facilities including: 12 tennis courts, 2 bowling greens, a running track and a large clubhouse on the site of the present houses to the left of the driveway entrance to the Club.
As well as being a leading bowls club, WESAC was also a force in both tennis and table tennis during the period up to the mid-1950’s and had Fred Perry as a member.
The Club suffered some financial set-backs in the late 1950’s and the main Club facilities fell into disuse with the exception of the current bowls green and some small changing facilities. The old clubhouse adjacent to Mervyn Road was demolished in the early 1960’s and several smart new houses were built on the site.
The bowls club was effectively reformed in 1961 and worked hard to secure the site, including the field alongside the bowls club, for sporting and recreational purposes. This culminated in 1993 with the purchase of a 130 year lease for the site from the London Borough of Ealing.
The present Club Badge is a derivation of the old Ealing Borough Council Coat of Arms.
*ARMS: Per chevron Gules and Argent in dexter chief two Swords in saltire and in sinister chief three Seaxes fessewise in pale proper all with pommels and hilts Or and in base an Oak Tree eradicated also proper.
The crossed swords of St. Paul are from the arms of the See of London, to which the Manor of Ealing formerly belonged. The seaxes are from the arms of the Middlesex CC and the tree is said to be a sign that Ealing is 'growing and flourishing'.
Motto 'RESPICE PROSPICE' - Look backward, look forward.
Granted 22nd February 1902.
Throughout its history the Club has continued to produce fine bowling achievements. One notable West Ealing bowler was the great Jack Holliday who played football with distinction for Brentford FC. before being equally successful in the world of bowls as a West Ealing member between 1950 and 1980. West Ealing Bowls Club continues to provide players, both men and ladies, to represent their respective Middlesex County Bowls Associations.
In 1995, the Ladies Section was re-formed and operated successfully as a separate section within the Club. However, in the early part of the 21st century, the ladies and the men's section merged to become a 'mixed' club. Indeed this was becoming the norm following the the merger of Bowls England men and ladies. As of today, bowls in most of the country, as far as friendly games are concerned, is of a mixed discipline. In fact, at this time, the Club elected it's first Lady President!
The Club has also had the honour of providing the President of Middlesex County Bowling Association on no less than 3 occasions for the Men and once for the Ladies. The Club has also provided the Captain of England Under-25’s in recent years.
The Club buildings have been extended since the early 1960’s and, as well as supporting a full bowls fixture list for men’s, ladies and mixed Club matches, is also able to host various events including the later stages of Middlesex County and Ealing & District bowls competitions. The Club holds internal men’s, ladies and mixed bowls competitions throughout the summer.
We look forward to celebrating the Centenary of the Bowls Section in 2023!